TownNews

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Smoke leads to brief Hutto High evacuation

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:38 pm

Science lab experiment blamed An experiment being conducted in one of the science labs at Hutto High School Friday resulted in the evacuation of the building when smoke set off the campus fire alarm.

The evacuation occurred right around noon and Hutto Fire Rescue was finishing up its work ventilating the building, to remove the smell and the smoke caused by a lab experiment involving sodium and water.

All of the students were taken to the football stadium while the fire department dealt with the issue. No hazardous materials team responded to the incident, according to the Hutto Independent School District. Students were allowed back into the building around 1:30 p.m. to finish the school day. No injuries were reported, according to HISD Spokesperson Emily Grobe.

“We accounted for all of our students and got them out of the building immediately,” Grobe said. “Their health and safety is our top priority and anytime something like this happens we take it seriously and want to be sure everyone is accounted for and safe, and that it is safe for them to come back into the building.”

The district used its phone system and Skylert email program to contact parents and relay information, Grobe reports.

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

More Top Ads